Monday 18 February 2008

Day One Hundred and Thirty-Seven - Wilton Road, SW1



Came out of the station via Boots and so passed the front of the Apollo Victoria Theatre before crossing the road towards work. In the ten years I've been working around here there haven't been many productions on at this place: Wicked, a short-lived Bollywood musical (Bombay Dreams, I just looked it up), some ghastly Saturday Night Fever thing, Starlight Express, and Movin' Out, the Billy Joel musical. Will took a Joel-loving friend to that as a birthday present. Apparently they were hoping for a We Will Rock You-style romp through Billy's biggest hits, but they didn't count on Mr Joel's huge sense of self importance leading to him getting Twyla Tharp in to make it a modern dance extravaganza. How I laughed when I was told about it.

I'm not a musicals fan (although I was dragged along to Les Miserables and thought it mah-vellous) but Sheila-who-must-be-obeyed certainly is, to the extent that she's seen Wicked three times. I would have liked to see the place in it's original incarnation, a huge art deco cinema.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got it the wrong way round. Movin' Out was not concieved by Billy Joel. Twyla Tharpe approached him with the idea to do a musical.

Anonymous said...

Hey, why am I - the sheliah herself - linked to skippy?!