Friday 27 July 2007

Day Twenty-Nine - Meard St, W1



Bit of a cheat this, as I took this photo at lunchtime on my way to Sister Ray (didn't buy anything) but it's my blog, I make the rules, and I rather liked this picture. I don't think the trio of ladies talking in front of the picture were even aware it was there.

The National Gallery are bringing art to the masses this summer by hanging reproductions of some of their paintings on walls all around Soho and Covent Garden - they're calling it The Grand TourTM. This is An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump by Joseph Wright. I know next-to-nothing about art, but I know that I like this a lot.

Opposite this picture is Van Gogh's A Wheatfield, with Cypresses which seems far less impressive in this context. Go up to Soho this weekend and check them out yourself. No-one will believe you when you tell them that that was why you went to Soho, but we'll know.

On the discman today: AM and PM - The Dukes of Stratosphear Chips From The Chocolate Fireball

1 comment:

Martin said...

Hi Alastair, thanks for adding The Nurse to your links, have returned the favour. I've seen 'The Ambassadors' on Berwick Street - OK I recognised the picture but had to look up the name!