Thursday 6 September 2007

Day Fifty-Five - Hamlet Road, SE19



I was very confused this morning - had Mr Brown called a snap general election and I'd missed it?

Turns out (my new favourite phrase) that there's a council by-election in the Crystal Palace Ward of the London Borough of Bromley. Because of the weird local government topography of London, five different boroughs - Bromley, Croydon, Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham - meet at what used to be a tree at the top of Anerley Hill, right at the heart of Crystal Palace/Upper Norwood. This means that the area is (a) divided between five different authorities, so there's no joined-up policy for the place, and (b) it's at the borders of all of them, so none of them pay it much attention anyway. And that although I live in the London Borough of Croydon, the station - which is ten minutes' walk away - is in Bromley. Which is why (a) I knew nothing about the by-election, and (b) I was so confused this morning.

On the discman today: AM - Jazkamer Balls the Size of Texas, Liver the Size of Brazil PM - Philip Jeck Stoke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(it's Louise) Ooo this explains why I got asked that day by a zealous looking bloke if I was "voting today" on my way to Tescos. I pulled my "not a british citizen so can't vote" excuse out and got the "ooh you're from Sydney what are you doing here?" response back.
PS. Ulllaa!